July 23, 2012

Fostering: Sometimes you just feel like a Rock Star!

First, I wanted to start this post with an incredible video made by Emily, a volunteer at K9 Justice League (who is quickly becoming one of my favorite people.) This video sums up beautifully what rescue really means and I love that our foster, Elmer has little cameos throughout. Now back to my blog post :-)

One very cool and unintended consequence of all my fostering adventures is the huge boost to my self esteem. Seriously, I feel like a rock star. Having served in the military, I can tell you that it's that same sense of pride and accomplishment, the idea that you belong to something greater, that you are doing good.

There are times when I go to the dog park and people stop and ask if we're that fostering family. Some people recognize Relay from his Facebook page and stop us to say hello and thank us for what we are doing. When we meet up with other volunteers or hit up adoption events Relay gets a hero's welcome and we feel a great sense of camaraderie and friendship that comes so freely I am always humbled. 

This sense of community continues in the blogging world and throughout the vast array of social media. One of my posts got a shout out on the No Dog About It Blog post: Finding the Right Rescue and I immediately called up Jeff to tell him that I felt like the coolest person in the world. Every time we get a shout out on twitter, every like on FB, makes me feel like the world is cheering us on.

But you know what the greatest thing is? That validation that can only come from within. When a good dog just gives you a look that he is content, you know in your heart that where he came from may not have been great, but he is on his way to a happily ever after; and you are helping him there. When an adoptive family like Miss Ruby's send you email updates and photos and are so greatful that you helped make their family complete, I just feel so... 

Well, some of you know just how that feels. And I want to be able to share that feeling with everyone. Get involved in small or big ways; every bit counts. When you do, I promise you, you're going to feel great.

8 comments:

I absolutely loved the video. Totally sharing that one.
I think you described fostering perfectly. You do feel like a rock star when you see that your foster dog is happy and comfortable and ready for adoption. Great post!

So glad you enjoyed the shout out too. :)

Great post. Dogs CAN make us feel like rock stars with their love and devotion.

Just read Stubby Dog's post Everyday Heroes: Foster Families and feeling a little solidarity ;-)

How awesome of you to foster - you SHOULD feel like a rock star for the difference you are making! :-) Thank you for all that you do.

Heck yeah... you are a total rock star!

From " DunRoamin' Stray and Rescue " in NB Canada -I found myself smiling all the way through the video. Been there -still feels great. Good on you!!!

<3 Thanks for posting my video! :-) And isn't fostering wonderful? You just put into words what I haven't been able to. It DOES make you feel like a rockstar. What more could we ask for? We're helping save lives... AND THAT IS BIG! Thanks for fostering for us... and I'm SO happy to have you in our little family! Haha... after I left your house after dropping Elmer off, I texted Jess to let her know that it went well... and that you all were awesome!

Emily, this is totally awesome!!! It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for everything you do for the dogs of K9 Justice League.
Cindy Wilde

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More