July 7, 2012

Introducing... Dude!



Ummmm.... how did I get a two year old Golden Doodle? Dude (short for Doodle) actually comes to us from Collie and Sheltie Rescue. Seriously.

I got an SOS call from CSRSEVA. A former adopter, volunteer, and all around great guy found himself in a very regretable position. He unfortunately is sick and was given a diagnosis and treatment option that would put him in a position to no longer work, let alone care for his four dogs. He goes to the hospital almost immediately and the great people at the rescue took in his three shelties of course, but what about that Doodle?
Who could say no to that face? Turns out I couldn't. They were in a pinch and I really can't turn away a good dog. I am not going to lie though, I was more than a little apprehensive when I got the call. I heard things around the dog park, this mix is not for the faint at heart. I was mentally preparing myself for a wild child, and what did I get?

I got a very sweet boy. He hasn't run a muck in the house (though he does let loose some in the yard), he is quiet and gentle with my little boy and I was thrilled to see that he was courteous at meal time with Relay. Dude does counter surf and requires a gentle leader to be able to walk, but he sits command and responds to his name when I call. I know that the rescue wants to ensure that Dude gets to obedience classes, but this love has great promise to becoming a wonderful dog.

3 comments:

Aww! What a handsome guy! I feel terribly sad for his owner. My heart would be absolutely broken if I couldn't keep my dogs. It must be a comfort to him to know that Dude will be well cared for until he can find a new home. The Doodles that I've met have been extremely good at obedience!

Seems like all my apprehensions were completely silly. He's a great dog, bigger than most of my fosters, but a sweetie and a quick learner.

He looks like a sweet boy! I've known a few Doodles and they have all been really sweet. Very sad situation for his dad, but I'm so happy that you could help him in his transition to a new home!! :)

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More