April 6, 2012

Quick Tip: Make your own jerky

I know I said I had other things to do, but I procrastinate
It is absolutely crazy how much I spend on dog treats, and for something as simple as jerky, I could never understand why the ingredients list would have more than one item listed. The internet is filled with various directions on how to make these, but I found my favorite on Green Earth Goodies

Harris Teeter was running a sale on boneless, skinless chicken breast for buy one get two free and seeing as we have a guest, I figured it would be a great reason to try this out. Directions on this couldn't be simpler: Lay skewers across an oven rack and drape thinly sliced meat over in a 200 degree oven. I placed a cookie sheet to under to catch the drippings and leave the door slightly ajar to allow the release of moister.  Bake for hours to find the right "doneness" for your dog.

To say these were a hit is an under statement. The boys loved them. And considering the recent recall in treats from China I am much more apt to find ways to feed my poochies better, and save some money in the process.

1 comments:

Awesome! We make a lot of our own treats. We'll be doing this for sure!

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More