January 5, 2012

The Rescue Contenders

The process of finding the right rescue is proving to be less than straight forward. Many facilities I looked into where either not registered as not for profit or I fundamentally disagreed with their practices and policies. Registering with the animal control and SPCA in Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake got me nowhere. Their fostering programs simply aren't run well enough as the focus is predominantly on adoptions.

So, last year I began vetting various rescue organizations and here's what I came up with.

I liked Beagles to the Rescue. This may be partially due to the fact that my mutt looks most like a beagle, but the facility is nice and they seem attentive and engaged with all the dogs in their care. I just feel that they aren't too resourceful at getting the adoptable dogs much exposure.

Animal Rescue of Tidewater is another wonderful organization that works closely with the local shelters and handles numerous owner surrenders. But like BTTR their dogs seem to stay way too long with their foster homes, and I'm looking to make my first foster a positive experience.

So, here are the two main contenders:
Mid-Atlantic Pug Rescue & Collie and Sheltie Rescue of Southeast Virginia.
The first has a favorite breed of mine, the second a favorite of Jeff's, but I anticipate either group being a success.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More